OUR LADY OF LOURDES
Plaster and horse hair statue. Polychrome.
Polychrome is the "'practice of decorating architectural elements, sculpture, etc., in a variety of colors."
The term is used to refer to certain styles of architecture, pottery or sculpture in multiple colors.
Manufactured in the 1930s by the Daprato company
Restored by Lou McClung
SACRED HEART OF JESUS CHURCH
1952 SACRED HEART OF JESUS CHAPEL, LORAIN
The story of Sacred Heart of Jesus Chapel is really a story of persons working together to transplant their religious heritage to a new country. As early as the First World War, Mexicans and Mexican-
A Mexican settlement, composed principally of men, soon formed along the edge of south Lorain. Over the next three decades, the fate of the community waxed and waned with shifting economic and political conditions. The future of the Hispanic settlement finally was secured, when, in the wake of the Second World War, discharged United States servicemen from the Puerto-
Recognizing the spiritual needs of the community, the Cleveland Diocese established Sacred Heart of Jesus Chapel in July 1952, securing the priestly services of Father Gerard Fredericks, ST. Soon after his appointment, Father Fredericks and Archbishop Edward F. Hoban selected a site for the community – the former Rebman Meat Market on Vine Avenue. Father Fredericks soon "became a constant visitor to the local business scene, seeking equal opportunity before it was the law. He was the interpreter at the courts defending and demanding the rights for people who understood little of the judicial system and were terrified of it." In April 1953, three Missionary Servant Sisters-
When Father Martin Van Trieste, ST succeeded Father Fredericks in September 1958 the center of many men’s social life was still the area’s bars and clubs. In 195, Father Van Trieste and nine men of the parish attended a Cursillo in San Antonio, Texas, returning to Lorain inspired. Sacred Heart of Jesus Chapel soon became the center of the Diocese’s Spanish-
During the 1970’s, the parish underwent a variety of changes. In November 1972, it welcomed a new pastor, Father Robert Ward, ST. Two years later, a chapter of parish history came to an end, when preparations for a new housing project led to the demolition of the original Sacred Heart of Jesus Chapel. Through the generosity of Mrs. Pauline Vukin, the parish secured a ten-
On June 30, 1982, the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland assumed responsibility for the parish, appointing Father Michael J. Schneid pastor. Father Schneid served the community for the next eight years, turning over the parish to his successor and current pastor, Father Robert Reidy, on June 1, 1990. Approximately eighty years after the first Spanish-