LITHOGRAPH OF SAINT HEDWIG
St. Hedwig (1374-
Feast Day: October 16
Patron Saint of: brides, death of children, difficult marriages, victims of jealousy, widows, and duchesses
St. Hedwig has been acclaimed a saint in Poland since her own era, but not formally canonized until 1997. Queen, peacemaker, and bridge-
Crowned at age ten, Hedwig later married the Grand Duke of Lithuania. He was baptized before the wedding, promising to Christianize his people. Their union created a state capable of withstanding both Germany and Moscow and established a 400-
During her reign she strengthened the Church and used diplomatic means to resolve political conflicts. She was known for her charity and personal penances. Dying in childbirth she asked for her possessions to be sold and the money given to the University of Cracow, so firmly did she believe in the importance of education.
SAINT HEDWIG CHURCH
1905 ST. HEDWIG PARISH, LAKEWOOD
THE FIRST POLISH-
During Father Konwinski's pastorate, St. Hedwig Parish, like many other Polish parishes in the Cleveland Diocese, experienced a degree of internal conflict. In February 1925, the community split over the election of the parish council. Two years later, the tensions rose again, when four councilmen resigned over a dispute regarding control of daily parish affairs. While it teemed with internal dissent, the parish continued to grow, building a new combination church/school (1927) and welcoming teachers from the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis (1927).
On April 18, 1929, Father Stanley Sobienowski replaced Father Konwinski. Dissent continued in the parish, leading Father Sobienowski to write to Bishor Schrembs in May 1932, suggesting that he might be more useful to the Diocese at another parish. Father Sobienowski left St. Hedwig Parish on July 26, 1933, leaving the parish to the temporary care of the Franciscan Fathers. On March 3, 1934, the parish welcomed its next pastor, Father Joseph C. Rutkowski. During Father Rutkowski's pastorate, the parish purchased a four-
Under the direction of its next pastor, Father Bruno Ejchost, St. Hedwig Parish continued to develop, purchasing a two-