Feast Day: December 8
Patron Saint of: United States
From the first moment of her existence, Mary was perfectly preserved by God from the stain or "macula" of Original Sin and filled with sanctifying grace that would normally come with baptism after birth. Catholics believe Mary "was free from any personal or hereditary sin". Mary's immaculate conception should not be confused with the Incarnation of her son Jesus Christ; the conception of Jesus is celebrated as the Annunciation to Mary. Catholics do not believe that Mary, herself, was the product of a Virgin Birth from Saint Anne and Saint Joachim.
SISTERS OF INCARNATE WORD
SISTERS OF THE INCARNATE WORD AND BLESSED SACRAMENT
THE ORDER OF THE Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament was founded in 1625 by Venerable Jeanne Chezard de Matel in Lyon, France. In 1852, Bishop Odin visited France to recruit Sisters for his diocese. A small group of Incarnate Word Sisters came to Brownsville, Texas, in 1853. In 1903, three Sisters went to Durango, Mexico in response to the Bishop's plea. By 1906, they established a monastery in Gomez Palacio, Durango, Mexico. Persecution and political unrest caused the Sisters in Gomez Palacio to leave in March 1926.
Convents in Texas offered hospitality until August 1926, when permission was given to found a new house in the United States. Responding to the Bishop's appeal for teachers, five professed Sisters and two novices went to South Sioux City, Nebraska. However, they were not yet citizens and Nebraska State law required American citizenship to teach. Mother Mary Columba and Mother Mary Brendan sent Bishops letters of introduction, explaining their plight. Bishop Joseph Schrembs replied first, inviting the Sisters to the Cleveland Diocese. The Sisters arrived in Cleveland on May 4, 1927 and were given hospitality for several months by Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine.
In September, five Sisters were assigned to Annunciation School; they lived in the vacated rectory. In December, 1929, the Diocese purchased the Carl Miller estate on Pearl Road. The house was converted into a convent, and on March 4, 1930, Bishop Schrembs offered the Solemn Dedication Mass. On January 26, 1935, fire burned down the motherhouse. After remaining with the Sisters of Charity for a month, on February 26, 1935, twenty-
Rebuilding the fire-
The 1950s and 1960s were growth-