Franz Thaddeus Lang Chalice
Lang (or Lanz) who was originally from the Tyrol, specialised in liturgical silver. Among the surviving works marked by Lang are chalices in the cathedral of Augsburg, as well as examples in the National Museum of Budapest and the von Galen collection. Many of these existing chalices are mounted with similar plaques bearing scenes from the Passion of Christ, the scenes repeated from one to another. There seems to have been no attempt to arrange these scenes in a particular order. The blood of Christ is emphasised with the incorporation of rubies.
From the collection of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
This chalice similar in design was also made by Franz Thaddeus Lang
Purchase by George IV in September 1826 and is curently on display in the King's Audience Room at Windsor Castle.